ARE YOU A WRITER?
WOULD YOU LIKE HELP?
ARE YOU STARTING A WRITING PROJECT AND NOT SURE HOW TO DEVELOP IT?
HAVE YOU WRITTEN A DRAFT NOVEL AND ARE UNSURE HOW TO PROCEED?
ARE YOU A WRITER WHO WORKS BEST WITH DEADLINES?
We live in a complex web of often contradictory forces. Finding the clarity and motivation to pursue writing ambitions and creative projects can be a challenge.
Coaching and Mentoring are conversations that enable the client to identify and explore goals, dreams and ambitions; and to formulate a plan for achieving them.
‘Katri has a rare ability to give feedback in a way that immediately makes me start thinking of ways to improve, she’s never negative or critical so that it always feels like a shared process.’ LH -Fiction 2019
HELP FOR WRITERS:
Writing can often be a lonely and challenging activity. How to start, how to keep going, how to start again? What is it that I’m doing? Where is it leading? How do I find time to write amid all the competing demands in my life? Why am I blocked?
And the question that seems to plague writers most of all:
Am I any good?
These are questions that many writers face on a regular basis.
COACHING and MENTORING CAN HELP YOU TO
- formulate goals
- overcome blocks
- develop a practice that will draw on your knowledge and strengths
- improve your understanding of craft
- increase your confidence
- move forward with whatever it is that you have within you to write
- think more clearly about your writing project
I use coaching techniques to help writers achieve a position of clarity and a sense of progress on whatever it is they are writing, be it drama, fiction or non-fiction.
During the first sessions I concentrate on your intentions, to ask the question, what is it that you are hoping to write? Then I’ll read the work and offer feedback. Through an ongoing process of questioning and dialogue, I will help you shape the writing according to the criteria that you set.
The feedback I offer is developmental: I focus on questions of structure and meaning, and offer suggestions drawn from an understanding of craft and technique. If it’s useful, I suggest books that might be helpful for you to read.
‘I found Katri to be very engaged as a tutor — always interested in the possibilities, always appreciative of effort and always attending to detail. She gives written notes on manuscripts which she then discusses with you verbally.’ VM – Short Story writer, 2019
I don’t offer help with grammar, proof- or copy-editing; and I don’t line-edit. I am also unable to offer advice on how to get published, markets or marketing.I can suggest organisations, methods and programmes that might help with these questions.
I work with writers of fiction, creative non-fiction and drama, across the genres (YA, memoir, nature writing, commercial fiction, literary fiction, radio etc).
I coach poets who are experiencing difficulties with writing and have questions about writing but I don’t offer feedback.
Depending on what you require I charge by the session or for a package of sessions.
- A one-off coaching session of an hour is £45. This is reduced to £40 for six sessions or more.
- For those who want either one or several sessions of coaching with mentoring/feedback, I charge £55 a session. This is reduced to £50 if you sign up for four or more. And a further reduction if we agree to work over a period of months. Session-to-session I read 5,000 words of prose.
- For work on a typescript I offer a package that incorporates reading in stages, with feedback and coaching work session-to-session. I read 10,000-15,000 at a time and will read up to @60,000 words in total. Generally, the form this takes is: i- a session in which we talk about what it is you hope your draft achieves ii- in further sessions I offer feedback on the chapters/sections you give me to read. And so on. There will be six sessions in all of @1 hour/1.15 mins each. The rate for this is £700.
If you have special circumstances that prohibit any of these rates then I am happy to have a chat about what we might do together.
I work in Stroud, London and Norwich. I am happy to work on Skype.
I work also at the National Centre for Writing in Norwich. Please go their web site for further details of the sessions: http://www.nationalcentreforwriting.org.uk
Please contact me on email@example.com. I’m happy to answer any questions you might have about coaching and mentoring.
Testimonials and short About Me below!