ARE YOU A WRITER?
WOULD YOU LIKE HELP?
ARE YOU STARTING A WRITING PROJECT AND NOT SURE HOW TO DEVELOP IT?
HAVE YOU WRITTEN A DRAFT NOVEL AND ARE UNSURE HOW TO PROCEED?
ARE YOU A WRITER WHO WORKS BEST WITH DEADLINES?
Coaching and Mentoring are conversations that enable the client to identify and explore goals, dreams and ambitions; and to formulate a plan for achieving them.
‘Katri has a rare ability to give feedback in a way that immediately makes me start thinking of ways to improve, she’s never negative or critical so that it always feels like a shared process.’ LH -Fiction
COACHING and MENTORING CAN HELP YOU TO
- formulate goals
- overcome blocks
- develop a practice that will draw on your knowledge and strengths
- improve your understanding of craft
- increase your confidence
- move forward with whatever it is that you have within you to write
- think more clearly about your writing project
I use coaching techniques to help writers achieve a position of clarity and a sense of progress on whatever it is they are writing, be it drama, fiction or non-fiction.
The feedback I offer is developmental: I focus on questions of structure and meaning, and offer suggestions drawn from an understanding of craft and technique. If it’s useful, I suggest books that might be helpful for you to read.
‘I found Katri to be very engaged as a tutor — always interested in the possibilities, always appreciative of effort and always attending to detail. She gives written notes on manuscripts which she then discusses with you verbally.’ VM – Short Story writer
Podcast interview with Simon Jones at the National Centre for Writing:
I don’t offer help with grammar, proof- or copy-editing; and I don’t line-edit. I am also unable to offer advice on how to get published, markets or marketing.I can suggest organisations, methods and programmes that might help with these questions.
I work with writers of fiction, creative non-fiction and drama, across the genres (YA, memoir, nature writing, commercial fiction, literary fiction, radio etc).
I coach poets who are experiencing difficulties with writing and have questions about writing but I don’t offer feedback.
Depending on what you require I charge by the session or for a package of sessions.
- A one-off coaching session of an hour is £45. This is reduced to £40 for four sessions or more. A coaching session is a conversation in which we explore your goals and obstacles.
- A mentoring session is an hour long. I will read up to 5000 words of prose for each session. The fee for this is £55. This is reduced to £50 after three sessions. If you would like me to read more than 5,000 words for a session, I add £10 per extra 1000 words. E.G. £65 for 6000 words, £75 for 7000 and so on. I will read up to 10,000 words for a session of an hour.
- For work on a typescript I offer a package that incorporates reading in stages, with feedback and coaching work session-to-session. I read 10,000-15,000 at a time and will read up to @60,000 words in total. Generally, the form this takes is: i- a session in which we talk about what it is you hope your draft achieves ii- in further sessions I offer feedback on the chapters/sections you give me to read. And so on. There will be six sessions in all of @1 hour/1.15 mins each. The rate for this is £700.
COVID-19: I am only working online at the moment
I use Skype, Zoom or FaceTime.
I work also through the National Centre for Writing in Norwich. Please go their web site for further details of the sessions: http://www.nationalcentreforwriting.org.uk
Please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m happy to answer any questions you might have about coaching and mentoring.
Testimonials and short About Me below: