ARE YOU A WRITER?
WOULD YOU LIKE HELP?
ARE YOU STARTING A WRITING PROJECT AND NOT SURE HOW TO DEVELOP IT?
HAVE YOU WRITTEN A DRAFT NOVEL AND ARE UNSURE HOW TO PROCEED?
ARE YOU A WRITER WHO WORKS BEST WITH DEADLINES?
Coaching and Mentoring are conversations that enable the client to identify and explore goals, dreams and ambitions; and to formulate a plan for achieving them.
‘Katri has a rare ability to give feedback in a way that immediately makes me start thinking of ways to improve, she’s never negative or critical so that it always feels like a shared process.’ LH -Fiction
COACHING and MENTORING CAN HELP YOU TO
- formulate goals
- overcome blocks
- develop a practice that will draw on your knowledge and strengths
- improve your understanding of craft
- increase your confidence
- move forward with whatever it is that you have within you to write
- think more clearly about your writing project
I use coaching techniques to help writers achieve a position of clarity and a sense of progress.
The feedback I offer is developmental: I focus on questions of structure and meaning, and offer suggestions drawn from an understanding of craft and technique. Sometimes, I suggest books that might be helpful for you to read.
‘I found Katri to be very engaged as a tutor — always interested in the possibilities, always appreciative of effort and always attending to detail.’ VM – Short Story writer
Podcast interview with Simon Jones at the National Centre for Writing:
I don’t offer help with grammar, proof- or copy-editing; and I don’t line-edit. I am also unable to offer advice on how to get published, markets or marketing.I can suggest organisations, methods and programmes that might help with these questions. In this way, the work of a mentor is different to that of an agent or an editor in a publishing house.
I work with writers of fiction and creative non-fiction.
As a general rule of thumb, below are my rates:
1-Coaching session of an hour is £50. This is a conversation in which we explore your goals and obstacles, and formulate a plan for you to follow. I do not read any of your work.
- I charge £70 for two hours. One hour will be spent reading and evaluating the writing you submit; the second hour will consist of a one-to-one online conversation. During this hour we will talk about your writing goals, the progress you are making, and the challenges you face. I will give verbal feedback on the text. After three sessions, the rate drops to £65.
- I read up to 5000 words of prose for a mentoring slot.
- After the first, introductory, session, I will read up to 7000 words a session. I add £10 for up to an extra 1000 words above the baseline of 5000.
- Mentoring meetings normally take place at intervals of at least a month.
- Opening of a book: I read and give verbal feedback of an hour on the opening 10,000 words of a work-in-progress. The fee for this is £125.
- Draft typescript: I offer a package of reading and feedback in stages on a draft typescript. The number of sessions and the fee will depend on the length of the draft. We always begin with an introductory session for which I read 5000 words. After that I’ll read up to 10,000-12,000 words a session. Normally we’ll have between 4 – 6 sessions of an hour each. Please do get in touch for more details.
I use Skype, Zoom or FaceTime.
I work also through the National Centre for Writing in Norwich. Please go their web site for further details of the sessions: http://www.nationalcentreforwriting.org.uk
Please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m happy to answer any questions you might have about coaching and mentoring.
Testimonials and short About Me below: